Issues affecting children and young people in Uganda
Policy and frameworks supporting children in Uganda
- Ensure children are not detained with adults
- Children are not incarcerated in adult prisons,
- Children are not involved in armed combat
- All trials involving children are not delayed, they are free and fair, and only rehabilitative orders are given.
- No child is sentenced to death in case they have been found guilty of capital offences.
- Establishing child friendly procedures, mechanisms and solutions in the juvenile justice system.
- Ensure that the best interest of the child is paramount in determining custody, parentage, alternative care including foster care, guardianship, adoption and sentencing.